Last Updated March 3rd, 2023: In the past couple of years, the United Kingdom has made some large laws and regulation changes which could have a big impact on the future of cannabis in the UK. With Brexit upon us, there are going to be many changes coming within the United Kingdom, and this is especially true when it comes to the marijuana policy.
In this guide we’re going to discus the current cannabis policy, what the future could hold, British Seed Banks, and who to buy marijuana seeds from online in 2023!
- 1 Best Online Seed Banks for Buying Cannabis Seeds in United Kingdom:
- 2 How Could Brexit Affect Cannabis Laws in the UK?:
- 3 Current Cannabis Laws and Regulations in United Kingdom:
- 4 Current Laws and Regulations Involved With Cannabis Seeds in the UK:
- 5 Our recommendations for Online Seed Banks That Ship Seeds to the United Kingdom:
- 6 Is It Legal To Buy From Seed Banks In The UK?:
- 7 What Does The Future Of Cannabis In The UK Hold?:
- 8 Final Thoughts on Purchasing Cannabis Seeds in The UK:
Best Online Seed Banks for Buying Cannabis Seeds in United Kingdom:
- Seedsman Seed Bank: [Read Our Review] – Huge selection of seeds, fast and discrete shipping!
- Crop King Seeds: [Read Our Review] – Best customer support in the market and FREE SHIPPING!
How Could Brexit Affect Cannabis Laws in the UK?:
Back in June 2016, Brexit officially passed with a 51.9% vote in support of the measure that would officially withdraw the UK from the European Union. That being said, at the time of the vote the true extent of this regulation wasn’t fully known, and even in 2023 it’s still being questioned.
Brexit didn’t officially start until January 2020 (it was originally scheduled to begin in 2019 which was the official two years after the Article 50 sign date, but was pushed to 2020).
So what does this all mean to cannabis lovers?
Unfortunately it’s still hard to say. What can be said is that because the UK officially doesn’t have to abide by EU standards and regulations, it gives the UK much more flexibility in terms of their laws and regulations. This means that the UK could potentially have a referendum on cannabis and relatively quickly put the vote into law.
Current Cannabis Laws and Regulations in United Kingdom:
While the laws could potentially change pretty quickly in the future, you should still be aware of the current legal environment! If you are someone who is looking to purchase marijauana seeds in the UK you need to be discrete because cannabis has been illegal since 1923. Since then there have been minor reforms which put cannabis in the “Class B” section of drugs (Out of Class A-C). That being said, criminal offenses for cannabis are classified at the Class A level which is similar to LSD, which makes it a smaller offense than in the United States and more similar to Australia for example.
That being said, since cannabis was adjusted due to the Criminal Misuse Act in 1971, the criminal offenses for cannabis was increased, and offenses for supply or distributing weed was increased and can be rather strict. Generally speaking, as a first time offender, you will receive a warning as long as your criminal status is in good standings.
Currently the only way for a citizen to grow their own cannabis legally in the United Kingdom is if they are approved and purchase a license from the Home Office. These cost around £580 to obtain and you have to pass a series of tests including a criminal background check. Furthermore, you are only allowed to grow low THC strains and is designed for those for research purposes.
Ever since the laws and regulations have been put in place, the arrests made for unlawful cultivation of cannabis has grown pretty much year over year. This just goes to show how popular cannabis has gotten in the British culture.
There’s been a big push in the recent years to have cannabis reclassified as a Class C drug which would be a much closer step to decriminalization. This would be a large step in overall cannabis policy and I definitely think we could see this step in the next few years!
Current Laws and Regulations Involved With Cannabis Seeds in the UK:
Although we just covered the regulations involving cannabis, cannabis seeds in the UK are slightly different. Possessing cannabis seeds in the UK is legal. Along with this hemp oil and fiber are also both legal.
That being said, as mentioned above the same can’t be said about cannabis, which of course is still illegal.
That being said if you’re looking for cannabis seeds in the UK then you should look at online seed banks. These online seed banks offer quite a few more strain options than local shops, fast and discrete shipping methods, and the pricing are quite often a lot cheaper for higher quality seeds.
Our recommendations for Online Seed Banks That Ship Seeds to the United Kingdom:
- Seedsman: Seedsman has the biggest and highest quality strain selection out of any online seed bank. If you are looking for a specific strain, my money is on that they have it. Along with this, their strain quality is extremely high and they offer very fast and discrete shipping options to the UK. Seedsman also offers some of the best rates in the industry and are constantly offering promotions!
- Crop King Seeds: Crop King Seeds is one of the most trusted seed banks in the world and is my number one choice when I’m looking to purchase seeds. They ship throughout the world with extremely fast and discrete shipping methods. Along with this their seed quality and seed selection is among the best I’ve seen!
- ILoveGrowingMarijuana.com: ILoveGrowingMarijuana (ILGM) also offers some of the highest quality of strains in the business. They have excellent customer support that will very quickly answer any questions or concerns you might have or even work overtime to help ensure your order is correct. Along with this, they offer FREE SHIPPING and constantly offer Buy Seeds Get Free Seeds Offers. NOTE: ILGM NO LONGER SHIPS OUTSIDE OF THE USA AND CANADA.
Is It Legal To Buy From Seed Banks In The UK?:
As of March 3rd, 2023: Always double check regulations because they can quickly change, but currently it’s perfectly legal to purchase cannabis seeds from online seed banks such as those listed above. Although these laws and regulations might change when you begin growing, so consult your laws!
What Does The Future Of Cannabis In The UK Hold?:
With Brexit in full swing there’s no question that some laws and regulations are bound to get changed. The public opinion of cannabis is slowly changing in favor of at least decriminalizing small amounts of cannabis for personal use. I believe in the next few years we could see cannabis dropping to a Class C drug which would drastically drop the severity of any criminal offenses.
Furthermore, I do think that the total recreational legalization of cannabis could be coming in the short future. There’s currently an ongoing campaign by the Cannabis is Safe Than Alcohol (CISTA) group which is campaigning for updates on the current cannabis regulations explaining the benefits of cannabis and how it’s actually safer than alcohol which as we all know is a huge part of UK culture.
Final Thoughts on Purchasing Cannabis Seeds in The UK:
Overall if you’re interested in purchasing cannabis seeds in the UK, I hope this guide was helpful. Thankfully we here in the UK have the legality of purchasing seeds online and don’t have to worry about our seeds getting held by customs or anything like that. That being said, ensure you’re well versed in all laws and regulations!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this guide on purchasing marijuana seeds in the UK!